California Notary Exam FAQ
Sign up now ... Reserve your seat today!
What are your course highlights?
Our California Notary Exam Classes are easy and
informative same day classes and are structured to
teach you the basics of being a Notary Public and prepare
you for the California Notary Public Exam. The official
CA Notary Exam is offered after the approved 6 hour
- The class presents the official California Notary
Public Handbook in plain language and includes practice
quizzes to help you understand the material.
- The class focuses on what is important to know
for the exam as well as practical applications such
as using our Hands-On Training method:
- The different types of notarial acts
- Elements of each notarization
- Completing notary certificates
- How to record in your Notary Journal
- How to correctly identify a signer
- The state exam is given at the end of each class.
The class schedule is as follows:
|7:30am to 8am
|8am to 10am
|10am to 10:15am
|10:15am to 12pm
||Performing Notarial Acts
|12pm to 1pm
||Lunch (not provided)
|1pm to 3:15pm
||Hands-on Training & Test Prep
|3:15pm to 3:30pm
||Distribute “Proof of Completion”
|3:15pm to 4pm
|4pm to 4:50pm
||Exam administered by CPS
- Same day classes are currently available in the
Northern and Southern California.
- The course registration fee does not include state
exam fees payable to the Secretary of State.
- Click here to Register
Now, $75.00 for all of California.
What do I need to bring to the class?
When you register for your class you now have the opportunity to order Notary Supply Packages
at a special discounted price. For your convenience, we are also offering the state required
Live Scan Fingerprinting and the state required Passport-type Photo services at all of our CA
Exam Class locations. You can go to
Notary Public Handbook
and download a free copy of the California Notary Public Handbook.
The registration confirmation email we send to you after your online registration will include
a link for you to access by password your Pre-Study Guide and
Official Secretary of State 108 Knowledge Points.
- One of the following Photo Identification: (current or issued within the last 5 years)
No other forms of photo identification are allowed.
- A driver's license or State DMV I.D. card
- A Canadian or Mexican Driver's license
- U.S. Passport or Passport issued by a foreign government
- A U.S. Military I.D. Card
- A complete application form - Get Application *
- All Applications for appointment must include a 2" x 2" color passport-type photograph of yourself attached to the application
- Check for $40.00 payable to the Secretary of State
- Two (2) sharpened No. 2 lead pencils
- Yellow Highlighter for marking special areas to remember in the Study Manual
* Note if you are not a U.S. Citizen you need to bring your
"Alien Registration Number" to class or have this information
completed on your application.
Click here for NOTARY PUBLIC CHECKLIST
The Notary Public Checklist is a step by step walk through
of all the information you need to know and follow to
become a Notary Public in the State of California.
What happens if I forget to bring
something to class?
We anticipate your needs for the class. As long
as you have a valid ID and payment for the California
Notary Exam, we can usually help in other ways.
Are there breaks during the class?
There is a 15 minute break in the morning, a one
hour break for lunch and a short break in the afternoon
before the California Notary Exam begins.
Can I cancel my class registration?
As stated in our Terms of Purchase
- All credit card cancellations are subject to a 10% service charge. If payment was made by check or cash these REFUNDS are subject to deduction of cancellation fees and the balance of payment returned to you by check within 30 days of cancellation date.
- Cancellations made at least seven (7) business days prior to class will be granted.
- There is a $50.00 fee for cancellations made with less than a seven (7) business day notice and up to forty-eight (48) hours prior to your class.
- Cancellations with less than forty-eight (48) hours notice cannot be refunded for any reason due to limited time left to fill your vacated seat.
- Cancellation fees will be deducted from the card used for your original order unless other arrangements are made. Payments by check or cash ( less applied deductions ) are refunded by check within 30 days of cancellation date.
Can I reschedule my class?
As stated in our Terms of Purchase
- Reschedules made at least seven (7) business days prior to class will be granted at no charge.
- There is a $25.00 fee for reschedules made with less than a seven (7) business day notice and up to forty-eight (48) hours prior to your class.
- There is a $50.00 fee for reschedules made with less than a forty-eight (48) hour notice.
- Reschedule fees will be applied to the card used for your original order unless other arrangements are made. If payment was mailed, you may choose to also mail in your reschedule fee or provide us with credit card information. Reschedules will be granted once fees are processed.
- We only offer this rescheduling one time. Failure to attend your rescheduled class will forfeit your order and you will need to place a new order for class.
- Your rescheduled class must be within sixty (60) days of your original scheduled class.
What is our class NO SHOW policy?
As stated in our Terms of Purchase
- Students not present for class cannot be refunded or rescheduled for any reason due to limited seating at our mandatory notary classes. By not showing up for class, you have taken a seat someone else would have been able to fill. You will need to resubmit a new order for class.
What is our free class guarantee?
As stated in our Terms of Purchase
- Our "Free Class and Exam Guarantee" ensures that if you fail the exam, you may take our class again for FREE up to two (2) additional times. To take advantage of this guarantee, this must be done within the next two (2) consecutive months after your first exam. A seat fee of $35.00 is charged for your exam reservation, which means that you will have a free seat for the entire class and a reserved seat for the state exam. The Secretary of State will charge $20.00 to retake the state exam. You must register on our web site by choosing the "Retaking Test" link below the date of the class you wish to attend.
What are the New Mandatory Education
All applicants appointed on or after July 1, 2005, will
be required to satisfactorily complete a course of study
approved by the Secretary of State prior to appointment as
a notary public. (Government Code section 8201.)
The goal of mandatory education is to:
Upon completion of the approved six-hour course of study,
the approved notary education vendor will provide you with
a certificate of completion of the mandatory education
course. The certificate of completion is valid for a period
of two years from the date of issuance. You will want to
ensure that you pass the notary public examination before
your certificate of completion of the mandatory education
- provide proper training for all notaries public;
- provide a full understanding of the duties and
responsibilities of a notary public;
- standardize knowledge for all notaries public; and
- reduce complaints and lawsuits due to negligence or
misconduct by a notary public.
What are the requirements to take an
approved three-hour refresher course?
Notaries public who have previously completed an approved six-hour
notary public education course and have a current active commission
are eligible to take an approved three-hour refresher course if they
have taken the notary public exam and submitted the application at
the exam site prior to the expiration date of their current
Can a six-hour course be taken in place of a
three-hour refresher course?
A six-hour approved notary public education course satisfies the
requirement for a three-hour refresher course and always satisfies
the education requirement, regardless if you are a new applicant or
applying for reappointment.
Is the proctored state exam that
follows your class the official
Yes. CPS Human Resource Services comes to our class
locations and administers the official California State
Notary Public Exam to our candidates.
Is there anything I can study prior
to the day of the class?
It is our goal that you pass the state exam the
first time and perhaps even more importantly, that you
know what to do when you are asked to do your first
notarization. Our way of helping you accomplish this
without stress is to offer you a copy of our
Study Guide and Official Secretary of State 108 Knowledge Points.
We forward these to you by e-mail
once you have registered for our class either
online, by telephone, by fax or by mailing in your
How to request the FREE Study and
You will receive information on how to download this
guide at no additional charge with your registration
confirmation. This information will be sent via email
only. We will present and study all of this material
during the class. You can also download a copy of the
California Notary Public Handbook.
Our Training Manual and
sample test is based on this publication. We have put
together a Training Manual, which not only presents
the information, but also is presented in a way for
you to learn and retain the information in order to
pass the test the first time!
How do we help you to kick-start
your Notary business?
This is our way of saying Thank You! After
you have received your Notary Commission, e-mail us at
to sign-up for your Complimentary Listing Membership, this
is at no charge for one year. Want to see how this works?
and look at the Listing Member section.
Notary-Services.com is a part of the Notary Learning Center
and we want to help you kick-start
your own Notary Business. The following types of
businesses use the web site for finding notaries:
Signing or Closing Companies, Escrow and/or Title
Companies, Banks, Lenders and Mortgage Companies.
The general public also uses Notary-Services.com,
a nationwide database, looking for notaries to accept
notary assignments. Want to start working? This is absolutely
one of the best sites for any notary to be listed on
and a really great way to start your new Notary Business,
whether it's part time or full time. You need to advertise
and we will give you the kick-start you need at no extra
How soon should I start my process of
The Secretary of State recommends that you complete your state required training and exam
at least six months before your commission expiration.
What do I need to bring for the after class exam?
The administrators of the state exam require you to
bring these materials
for the after class exam.
What percentage of the students pass the test?
On average 97% of our students pass the California Notary
Exam the first time. The state does charge you $20.00
for retaking the test and you can only take the exam
once per calendar month.
What happens if I fail the test?
If you should fail the test, you are welcome to
take advantage of our "free class guarantee". The
Secretary of State does charge $20.00 each time you
retake the exam.
What time will I be finished with
Students will be finished with the test at approximately
I recently took the notary exam.
Can I check my exam results online?
Yes. Your exam results are available within 15-20 business
days of your exam date on the
Human Resource Services web site. If you have already
taken the exam but have not previously set up an online
account with CPS, then you will first need to call the
CPS HR Services at (916) 263-3520 in order to obtain
the password needed to access your exam results online.
If you put your e-mail address on your notary application,
CPS should send you a USER NAME and PASSWORD for logging in
to get your test results.
What are the costs involved in
becoming a Notary Public?
The CA Notary Exam/Application fees are set fees
by the State of California. Notary supplies and live
scan fingerprints vary by supplier. The County
Recorder filing fees will vary depending on the
county. The costs are as follows:
- Same Day CA Notary
Exam Class - $75.00 in all of California.
- Notary Supplies - Anywhere from $75.00
and up depending upon what supplies you purchase.
- Fingerprint Fees - $32.00 to the Dept. of
Justice, and $17.00 to the Federal Bureau of
Investigation plus $31.00 "Live Scan
- Passport Color Photograph - 2" x
2" passport-type photograph of yourself,
$10.00 to $15.00
- Application/Exam Fee - $40.00 for first
time applicants and renewing notaries ($20.00
application fee and $20.00 State of California
- Notary Seal and $15,000 state required notary bond - $14.00 to $18.00
notary seal and $38.00 for the notary bond.
- Filing Fee - $40 to $90 County Recorder fee
for filing your $15,000 bond.
How long does it take to become
a notary public or renew an existing commission?
It takes approximately 10 weeks to receive your
new commission starting from the date you take the state
exam. Your exam results are sent out within 15-20 business
days of your exam date. After you receive your pass
notification, you must submit your fingerprints for
a background check. The Secretary
of State's office receives your background check, processes
your application and then mails your commission to you
within approximately 10 weeks. Also see
Becoming a Notary Public Check List
How can I get more information
from the California Secretary of State?
Visit the California
Secretary of State - CA Business Portal.
Can I take the official notary
public exam online?
No. The official notary public exam is NOT offered
online by the State of California. You must register
with a testing service and attend an official test site
to take the exam.
How much does the Notary Public
The fee for the official exam is $40 for new applicants
and re-appointments and $20 if you have previously taken
the exam and failed.
How many times can I take the exam?
You can take the exam as many times as you need
in order to pass, but you may only take the exam one
time per calendar month.
What is the format of the exam?
The exam consists of 30 multiple-choice questions.
The exam time allowed is 50 minutes.
Which payment methods and credit cards do you accept?
We accept Paypal, Mastercard, Visa, Discover and American Express,
as well as debit cards which bear the
Mastercard or Visa logo.
Can I pay you by check, cashiers
check or money order?
You may mail a check, cashiers check or money order
made out to "Notary Learning Center " to the
|Notary Learning Center
PO Box 1534
Upland, CA 91785-1534
| You can opt to register
by mail or fax during the class checkout process.
"Potential Orders" submitted within 5 business days of your class,
will require payment at the door. Your payment must be in the form
of a cashier's check, money order, credit card or cash.
No personal checks will be accepted at the door.
Is my credit card transaction secure
when I register?
Your class registration fee is securely processed
using SSL and encryption technology. California
Notary Exam does not retain your credit card information
after your registration has been completed.
What is our class refund policy?
The Notary Learning Center will refund all fees within
thirty (30) days of a scheduled course date to any notary
public applicant or notary public who registered to attend
an approved course of study if one of the following occurs:
- One of our instructors fails to appear at the scheduled
time, date, and place of the approved course of study.
- One of our approved course of study is delayed in
starting more than fifteen minutes (15) after the
scheduled time, a notary public applicant or notary public
immediately informs the instructor of the approved class
of his or her request for a refund, and leaves the
approved course of study prior to it starting.
How do I find which class may be closest to me?
Select by Your Zip Code
Select by Your City Name
Is there really a need for Notary
Every Power of Attorney, Homestead Declaration,
Grant Deed, Quitclaim Deed, loan signing, home sale,
refinance, and on
. requires the signature and
stamp of a Notary Public. Can you imagine how many documents
are completed every day requiring the assistance of
a mobile notary public? That's right
a lot. Yes,
there really is a need for Notary Publics, especially
those who want to treat it as their own business and
start their own Mobile Notary Business. Start by, passing
we can help you every step of the way
after that. Find out about marketing yourself as a notary,
become a Certified Notary Signing Agent if you
want to and learn how to become a successful notary.
Our loan document signing classes will help you with
anything you want to do as a notary, especially if you
become certified. Check out our Notary
Signing Training Course at NotaryLearningCenter.com
for more information about this program. You do not
have to be certified to get into this business, but
if you want to be, we can help you.
Do you offer any group discounts?
Yes. Please contact us
for details and rates.